|MATR Newsletter - Fri Nov 2, 2012|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
MATR Web services provided by:
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
Nobody will ever deprive the American people of the right to vote except the American people themselves and the only way they could do this is by not voting. Franklin D. Roosevelt
Tonight: "To The Summit! Mountaineering And Responsibility To The Planet", 11/2, University Of Montana - Missoula http://www.matr.net/ev ... =4359 --- Video: "Big Sky, Big Money" PBS presentation paints a picture of an electioneering beast gone out of control in Montana. http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html --- You won't believe it...: Video: Please Move The Deer Crossing http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html
- Wind farm proposed for Anaconda's C Hill - Turbine towers would be about as high as the famous stack
NorthWestern Energy is pursuing those resources by attracting cost-effective, community-owned projects across the state.
Blackfoot Telecommunications Group
- How data can save journalism as we know it
Data journalism works best when there is cooperation between print and online media.
- Big Data Leading to New Breed of Service Provider
- Stalin Was Right: Why Statistics Don't Always Matter - or shouldn't be the final decider.
Decisions shouldn't be made by "Suits" who only look at data and who don't stand in front of customers on a regular basis.
Highway 12 Ventures
- Missoula, Montana-based Blackfoot Acquires Cutthroat Communications Adding New Technologies & Competitive Services For Businesses Statewide
"Smart growth is a top priority for Blackfoot," said Bill Squires, Blackfoot's Chief Executive Officer. "With this acquisition we are gaining strong talent and innovative technology that builds on Blackfoot's successful IP network.
- Blackfoot Telecommunications buys Bozeman-based Cutthroat
"It does approximately double the size of our company from a revenue standpoint and certainly greatly increases it from a geographic standpoint," said Bill Squires, chief executive officer of Blackfoot.
2012 Montana Politics and Legislature
- Highway 12-funded SendGrid Links Into Microsoft Windows Azure
SendGrid said it is one of the first ten companies who will be included in the new store, which helps web application developers find third party technology for their applications.
Come Home Montana
- "Big Sky, Big Money" PBS presentation paints a picture of an electioneering beast gone out of control in Montana.
How has the Supreme Court's Citizens United decision changed campaigns in America?
MEDA -Montana Economic Developers Association
- Caravan Skis: Living (and working) the dream in Bozeman, Montana
Who loves Montana? Who loves skiing? Who loves when young entrepreneurs are making a living doing both?
- MEDA November News
Interested in sharpening your professional skills as an economic and community development practitioner? Looking for new tools to place in your economic development tool box?
Montana Economic Development
- Proposed Anaconda wind farm could make world news
The world's largest Superfund site could make headlines if a wind farm is built in the heart of it.
- Montana's PFM and Land Tamer Climb To New Pinnacle of Growth With the Help of the Montana Manufacturing Extension Center
PFM manufactures the Land Tamerï¿½Â®, an extremely versatile remote access vehicle. It can travel on land, through water, in mud or snow, and up and down very steep inclines.
- 3 Tools That Can Take the Headaches Out of Hiring and HR - Resume Manager, by Missoula, Mont.-based Submittable
Resume Manager, by Missoula, Mont.-based Submittable http://www.submittable.com/ , is an online app for bringing order to the hiring process by letting employers digitally sort, organize and prioritize inbound resumes as they flood in. It can be especially helpful when hiring for multiple positions at the same time.
- At home in the cloud: Vertex Consulting Group takes on the IT world
Vertex Consulting Group specializes in managed-services, an increasingly important area within information technology in which day-to-day management of a company's computer network and related systems are outsourced to a third-party service provider.
- Flathead tech firm flies high
Quadropcopter http://www.quadrocopter.com/ may rent a few average looking offices outside of Columbia Falls, but what goes on inside is anything but.
- Bozeman manufacturer Twenty6 Products named Prospera entrepreneur of the year
Twenty6 Products is what happens when a solid Midwestern work ethic collides with the vast optimism of Big Sky Country.
- Special K Ranch, Montana Silversmiths dedicate new building
The new "Champions Building" is the result of fundraising efforts launched in 2011 by Champions for a Cause in their "Bringing Business Home" initiative to create new jobs and support local economies.
- Bozeman Commission to look at creating special tech district
City officials say those improvements would allow technology businesses to grow- creating jobs and diversifying the economy.
The Missoula Economic Partnership
- Attention, wannapreneurs: Here's one way to stop dreaming and start doing
"I believe we've learned how to crack the entrepreneurship code -- not to make them succeed, but how to make them fail less."
- Welcome to Startup Montana! Montana, the Most Innovative State. In the Most Innovative Country. Ever!
Here in Montana, we might not often think about it, but probably should; we are fortunate to live in a remarkably innovative and entrepreneurial state.
- Missoula Economic Partnership - Economic development progress underway but it takes hard work, time and patience
"One thing I'm extremely proud of is we're in the business of economic development and we're out there making plays," Fee said. "It's only a matter of time until those plays turn into scores."
- Is consulting right for you? Tips from three consultants.
If you are thinking about becoming a consultant, you need to be as aware of the challenges as the advantages.
- New Mexico launches pilot project to test the idea of Economic Gardening..
"We're excited to offer the opportunity for these 10 New Mexico small businesses to take advantage of customized business counseling so they can grow their businesses and create jobs in their communities."
- Tribe gives $1.3 million in school grants
The Coeur d'Alene Tribe this year gave $1.3 million in education grants to more than 50 schools, school districts and nonprofit organizations.
- Meridian's Renaissance High School isn't for everyone, and that's the point
Meridian School District started the four-year college-prep high school four years ago. About 670 kids are enrolled. At the start of their junior year, students choose one of two tracks: an International Baccalaureate diploma or an associate degree in liberal arts.
Regional Economic Development
- Raleigh Connected Initiative Seeks to Promote Workforce Training - Connectivity and Entrepreneurship
"The overall objective would be to have a city that is capable of housing any company has the most skilled workforce has plans and strategies for making sure all communities are connected so we have individuals who are workforce ready," said Raleigh CIO Gail Roper.
Washington State Business
- In Praise of Entrepreneurial Ecosystems..
Entrepreneurship Education - the revolution in entrepreneurial learning isn't coming.. it is HERE. We need to be on board ASAP.
- 4 Reasons Why Business Intelligence Research Matters For Economic Development
Individuals who share the same mindset when it comes to gathering business intelligence for economic development purposes will be prone to finding out that Google may not be the best place to start when searching for information.
- Broadband for Rural America: Economic Impacts and Economic Opportunities
Internet speed, not just access, is critical if rural areas are to benefit from IT potential in education, business, and health. A new study looks to the tech future of ag, rural medicine, and more.
- Can Washington get its life sciences groove back?
Both candidates for governor say they will help biotech and biomedical research in Washington state. But formerly robust state investments have dwindled as leaders divert tobacco-settlement money.
- How Hood River morphed into the Aspen of the West
43 percent of the homes in Hood River are "vacation rentals."
21st Century Education Initiative - "You Should Care..."
- The Next Government Workforce - It's going to take planning and work to recruit the best
The role of government is rapidly evolving. Building the workforce that will be needed requires new approaches.
- 'School Districts of Innovation' Will Allow Greater Flexibility
While certain rules for the initiative are still being worked out, education officials have said that the plan will require participating districts to commit to improving student performance.
Missoula Schools Excellence
- Nursing informatics education growing gradually more robust
The Bureau of Labor Statistics is also projecting a 20 percent increase in demand for registered nurses during the next decade, and amid increased enrollment in nursing schools, nursing informatics is growing as part of the curriculum.
- Video: Please Move The Deer Crossing
An education is a terrible thing to waste...
- New focus on helping community college students in STEM fields to a four-year degree
Each program is different, but they all share a common purpose: giving community college students an accessible path to a four-year degree in a STEM field.
- What Will Higher Education Look Like in 25 Years?
Higher education is at a breaking point. Tuition is skyrocketing. State funding is dropping. And online course providers are on the rise.
Montana Education Excellence
- Thursday - 11/1 - Missoula County Public Schools to showcase graduation improvement, but wants 100 percent -
Anyone who cares about the success of Missoula's public school students is invited to attend an hourlong meeting on Thursday to discuss Graduation Matters Missoula.
Universities and Economic Development
- City College dean looks to prepare more students for good jobs
To keep the college growing, Riley hopes to attract people, including older students and those who may have never thought about going to college, with general-education evening classes that City College began this fall.
- University of Montana panels to introduce its research to public
"We've made the decision in our new strategic plan that discovery and creative scholarship will be among our key focuses," he said. "We want to increase the impact of what we do as a university in the area of research and creative scholarship."
- University Economic Development Association (UEDA) announces 2012 Award of Excellence winners
The Awards of Excellence Program recognizes UEDA members who are transforming their campuses into engines of economic prosperity through leading edge initiatives in five categories.
Funding and Building your Business
- The First Steps to Meaningful Community Engagement
Creating more sustainable solutions that effectively address tough local challenges will take new ways of community engagement while simultaneously building on the power of communities to create, as Bill Traynor puts it, "homegrown, locally owned, action-oriented solutions to a neighborhood's problems."
Energy and Climate Change
- Memo To Micro Managers: STOP! The 10 (Hardest) Steps To Effective Delegation
Innovators who behave in this manner rarely achieve greatness.
- 10 Keys to Real Entrepreneur Mentoring Satisfaction
Good mentoring requires building a relationship first.
- The Classy Way To Get Media Coverage For Your Startup
So here's an idea to try when getting media coverage for your startup - don't start by pitching the product. Start by pitching nothing.
- 10 Reality Checks for Entrepreneurs From the Master - Guy Kawasaki
I do believe we all need reality checks to face our challenges head-on, so that we can deal with them and survive, rather than just float along in the clouds until our dreams evaporate.
- Chinese Website Translation Basics
Due to language and cultural complexities, there are many critical considerations to review before localizing your website or content for Chinese Consumers.
- Entrepreneur Success is Not Enough for Fulfillment
How others have failed to move from success to fulfillment, and the steps to make sure you don't follow in their footsteps.
Connectivity & Communications
- Biofuel industry hinges on Renewable Fuel Standard
In this sluggish economy, Montana biofuels are charging ahead.
- It's Global Warming, Stupid - "Now we have weather on steroids"
"We can't say that steroids caused any one home run by Barry Bonds, but steroids sure helped him hit more and hit them farther. Now we have weather on steroids."
- Oh My Tech!: 'Jailbreak' ruling sets no one free
A lot of you reading this are repeatedly breaking the law and probably don't even know it.
- Bozeman officials and businesses explore fiber optic options
At a workshop Thursday, MetroNet talked about how their high-speed network for businesses, universities and government helped economic development in South Bend, Indiana.
The Creative and Cultural Economy
- PPL Montana Community Fund announces $100,000 in grants
Program has awarded $1.6 million for education, jobs and environment
Cool Stuff That's Coming
- 36th International Wildlife Film Festival CALL FOR ENTRIES October 1, 2012-January 31, 2013 Late Deadline: February 8
The theme for the 36th IWFF is : Edens Lost, Found and Saved: Wildlife Film & Conservation
- 3-D printers offer new opportunities for product design and small-run manufacturing
Certain products no longer have to be made by the tens of thousands in a factory.
- The Future of Manufacturing
It creates everything you can think of.
- Stanford scientists build the first all-carbon solar cell
Unlike rigid silicon solar panels that adorn many rooftops, Stanford's thin film prototype is made of carbon materials that can be coated from solution. "Perhaps in the future we can look at alternative markets where flexible carbon solar cells are coated on the surface of buildings, on windows or on cars to generate electricity."
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page