|MATR Newsletter - Tue Oct 22, 2013|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
MATR Web services provided by:
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
"The best decision I ever made was to attend the University of Montana" Jim Messina, Former Campaign Manager for President Obama http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html
"Start-Up" The stories of 40 startups around the U.S. http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html --- Hellgate Venture Network - Brian Morgan, Adventure Life, 10/24, Missoula http://www.matr.net/ev ... =4779
Next Generation Broadband in Missoula
- Burlington, Vt., Partners With U.S. Ignite to Be Next Gig City
Gigabit cities are sprouting up across the nation, and Burlington, Vt., is the next to join the list. The coastal city that lies 45 miles south of the U.S.-Canadian border launched a partnership with nonprofit U.S. Ignite earlier this month called BTV Ignite to develop gigabit connectivity infrastructure and next-generation applications within the city.
Come Home Montana
- How Hospitals are Dealing With Big Data
As healthcare providers feel the imperative to deliver higher-quality care, improve the health of populations and reduce costs - the so-called "Triple Aim" - a small but growing number of hospitals are looking to integrate data from medical devices into electronic health records.
- APT has a legion of geeks that help analyze data so companies can make better decisions
Their algorithms provide the key to unlocking huge business problems, where billions of dollars are at stake.
- Let's Make a Deal: Visual Data Analytics important in Mergers and Acquisitions
How acquisitive companies are using technology to better understand their targets and make more informed M&A decisions.
Developing a more Entrepreneurial Montana
- Montana Career Opportunity - CFO - Montana Community Development Corporation
The ideal candidate for this position will have a love of modeling and solving financial puzzles and a background in solid accounting principles.
- Montana Career Opportunities - Marketing Manager, Purchasing Manager - West Paw Design
West Paw Design is a unique company in Bozeman, MT that designs, produces and sells top-quality pet bedding and toys worldwide.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Drupal Front End Designer
Looking for help with design aspects of a Drupal 6 -> 7 upgrade and revision.
- Business Office Suite Available in Central Missoula
8 OFFICES PLUS RESOURCE ROOMS PLUS KITCHEN/CONFERENCE ROOM. IDEAL FOR PROFESSIONAL OFFICES.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Fleet & Equipment Manager - Northwestern Energy
Responsible for the management of the fleet, equipment, and the fleet maintenance shops for all of NorthWestern Energy.
Developing Funding Opportunities in Montana
- You Don't Have to Be in Silicon Valley to Build the Next Great Internet Company
"There's the America where entrepreneurship is celebrated and supported. Places like Silicon Valley and Boston. And there's the rest of the country where the culture tends to be kind of risk averse."
- Just Because You Can Angel Invest Doesn't Mean You Should
Just because anyone (well, an accredited anyone) can become an investor doesn't mean they should. And despite what Silicon Valley folklore tells us, entrepreneurs don't necessarily make the best investors.
Montana Economic Development
- Persistence Pays Off for Nomad Global Communications
The last few years have proved Nomad can compete in the national arena as well, and now, Nomad has set its sites on breaking into the national market in a bigger way.
- Community Medical Centerin Missoula, Montana cuts 20 jobs, furloughs more workers
Combined with furloughs, the changes will amount to 60 fewer full-time equivalency positions at the Missoula hospital, which employs more than 1,020 full- and part-time workers, said Steve Carlson, the hospital's CEO.
- Missoula's Liquid Planet Converts Shipping Containers into New Coffee Stands - Cornerstone of New Franchising Program
"From our end, this is the first test location. We're going to use that as the model to produce future models we can build in Missoula and then ship anywhere in the country as we grow and franchise." Chad Morgan
- CEO of Mineral Community Hospital in Superior resigns
His leadership came into question when a number of discrepancies were discovered in the administration of a three-year, $10.5 million health care innovation grant awarded last year to the Mineral Regional Health Center, in conjunction with the Mayo Clinic.
Startup Weekend in Montana Communities
- Montana Tourism Assessment and Planning Program (MTAPP)
The Montana Office of Tourism in partnership with the Montana Main Street Program and MSU Extension's Community Development Program is inviting communities who want to explore their potential for strengthening tourism as an economic and community development tool to apply to be a pilot project assisting in the development of the Montana Tourism Assessment and Planning Program (MTAPP).
- A glance of Startup Weekend in Bozeman!
Thank you for promoting entrepreneurship among people in Montana. This is such an awesome event !
- 8 Subconscious Mistakes Our Brains Make Every Day--And How To Avoid Them
The lesson here? Whenever possible, look at the facts. Examine the data. Don't base a factual decision on your gut instinct without at least exploring the data objectively first.
- Montana towns on the edge of Bakken oil boom struggle with costs
Unlike North Dakota cities that reap tax money from oil to help keep pace with double-digit growth, the struggling Montana municipalities get next to nothing.
- Boise Airport denied grant to help start East Coast route
"A non-stop route to the East Coast is important for our business travelers based here in Boise, but it's also important for businesses considering move to Boise," Merritt said. "Ease of accessible flights in or out of Boise is a priority for companies looking to relocate."
- There's Real Economic Development Gold in El Dorado--Arkansas... hint- it's all about education
Instead of chasing after the fool's gold of becoming cool, it has found a way to attract new residents and increase its economic vitality by promising its public school students a free college education if they graduate from high school with good grades.
Regional Economic Development
- Illinois court invalidates 'Amazon tax' for online sales
The 6-1 ruling represented the first time a court had invalidated an Internet sales tax law among 18 states that have them.
21st Century Education Initiative - "You Should Care..."
- When Does Regional Collaboration Make Sense?
I think this is a question that needs to be asked and answered before any collaborative effort gets underway. It is important to realize that collaboration is a strategic organizational choice to achieve a specific objective.
- Early Education Crucial to Lowering Our Prison Populations
Nationwide, seven out of 10 people locked up in state prisons don't have a high-school diploma.
- Key to Montana's future business success - high-quality pre-kindergarten
High-quality preschool is the key to success in business and it is one that will open many doors: a stronger workforce, increased economic activity and savings for our businesses. Let's invest in what works.
- Language-Gap Study Bolsters a Push for Pre-K
Since oral language and vocabulary are so connected to reading comprehension, the most disadvantaged children face increased challenges once they enter school and start learning to read.
- Math Ability Starts in Infancy, Study Suggests
From as early as the first two days of life, newborns have an approximate sense of numbers, researchers have found.
Funding and Building your Business
- why the "sit-able city" is the next big idea
Why would this shift lead to an enhanced understanding of place?
- 365 Days of Missoula, Montana's Daily Rabble - Photographer's bet leads to portraits, stories of Missoulians
For the past five months, Ashley McKee has been taking little pieces of Missoulians she encounters during her day and turning them into simple, sweet stories that are posted online at http://365daysmontana.blogspot.com/ and anchored with poignant portraits.
- The Secret to Making Board Meetings Suck Less
Your success as a CEO is contingent on your board doing their best to help you -- so put them to work.
- Advisors vs. Mentors: What's the Difference?
The words 'advisor' and 'mentor' are often used interchangeably, but in all actuality, they couldn't be more different. Understanding the difference between the two is critical in deciding which one makes the most sense for your business.
- Startups Need To Embrace Zero Paid Media Marketing
Startups need to remember that even zero paid media doesn't mean that marketing is free.
- SOMETHING VENTURED tells the story of the creation of an industry that went on to become the single greatest engine of innovation and economic growth in the 20th century.
Our lives would be dramatically different without the contributions that these venture capitalists made to the creation of PCs, the Internet and life-saving drugs.
- "Start-Up" The stories of 40 startups around the U.S.
"Start Up," a new television "docu-series" he created for PBS that, in its first season, tells the stories of entrepreneurs in eight cities across the United States.
- 3-D data visualization State-of-the-art - Fast, otherworldly computer enhances Montana Tech research
The 3-D data visualization system is available to faculty, postdoctoral fellows and graduate students like Vignali, plus public and private industries -- like Butte's
The Creative and Cultural Economy
- In Montana, one in five children under the age of 6 live below the federal poverty level. - Angel Fund Helena - Counselor's compassion grows into project that helps hundreds of Helena, Montana students in need
"I just told all the teachers 'If kids can't afford the field trip, I'll pay for it. If they can't afford a pair of shoes and they're getting marked down in gym, I'll get them a pair of shoes. If a kid is freezing to death, then I'll get them a coat,'" she said. "So that's how it all got started and then it got kind of expensive."
- The unexpectedly most successful category on Kickstarter
If you were to guess which category on Kickstarter had the highest rate of successful funding, without peeking, you might guess "Technology" or "Film & Video." Big names like smartwatch maker Pebble and actor Zach Braff have made waves with their multimillion-dollar campaigns.
- MythBusters Tackles Four-Way Stop V. Roundabout Traffic Throughput
One was 20% more efficient than the other.
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page