|MATR Newsletter - Fri Mar 2, 2012|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
MATR Web services provided by:
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
"The sun did not shine. It was too wet to play. So we sat in the house, All that cold, cold, wet day." The Cat in the Hat - Dr. Seuss born March 2, 1904
Gen. Wesley Clark Hosted By The MSU Leadership Institute, 3/5, Bozeman, Montana http://matr.net/events ... =3966 --- University Of Montana Entrepreneurs Club Meeting (All Entrepreneurs Invited) , 3/7, Missoula, Montana http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html --- IGNITE IS COMING!! - Do you have a passion you'd like to talk about? - Ignite Missoula is now taking applications for the 4th Ignite Missoula community event http://matr.net/articl ... .html
- IGNITE IS COMING!! - Do you have a passion you'd like to talk about? - Ignite Missoula is now taking applications for the 4th Ignite Missoula community event
The format is half the fun with Ignite speakers allowed 5 minutes for 20 slides that auto-forward every 15 seconds, whether they're ready or not. It's a blast!
- App boosts interaction at lectures through dedicated URLs
Screen.io's Slides and Polls app enables speakers to offer extra resources to their audience through a dedicated URL that is unique to their presentation, while the app simultaneously gathers data and information from those in attendance.
Come Home Montana
- Get Paid to Spread the Good Word Join the PrintingForLess.com Referral Program and earn juicy rewards!
Referrals are the lifeblood of our business. If you've had a great experience using PFL, we would truly appreciate your help in spreading the word.
Developing a more Entrepreneurial Montana
- Montana Career Opportunity - Loan Technician - Montana Business Assistance Connection, Inc.
The Loan Technician is responsible for managing all MBAC loan portfolios.
- Montana Career Opportunity - C# ASP.Net Web Developer, Cedar Mountain Software
Help build web applications, maintain and add features to a number of existing applications and sites. Depending on your skills and what you can bring to the organization, the job duties may vary.
MEDA -Montana Economic Developers Association
- University Of Montana Entrepreneurs Club Meeting (All Entrepreneurs Invited) , 3/7, Missoula, Montana
All students and business entrepreneurs are invited.
- Montana Economic Developers Association Annual Conference Hears Candidates for Governor
"The most important power a governor has is the power to choose. The kind of state Montana is 10 years from now will depend on the governor voters elect this year."
- 9 gubernatorial hopefuls make case to Montana Economic Developers Association
Nine candidates for governor spoke at the Montana Economic Developers Association conference in Helena on Tuesday and Wednesday.
- Montana Ambassadors Event - From Bootstrap To $1.5 Billion Acquisition, 3/15, Seattle, WA
The Pacific Northwest Chapter of the Montana Ambassadors cordially invites you to its Spring 2012 Speaker Series event. Our featured speaker is Greg Gianforte, the Founder and CEO of RightNow Technologies, a true Montana high tech success story.
Montana Economic Development
- Yellowstone a boon to local economies
The peer-reviewed study, by Michigan State University, found that 3.64 million visitors in 2010 spent more than $334 million in Yellowstone and the area around it, supporting nearly 4,900 jobs.
- Montana Senator Jon Tester announces Bruce Nelson to headline March 12 agriculture workshop
Farm Service Agency administrator to share great advice with Montana farmers
- Missoula high-tech company TerraEchos wins IBM award for information management
"It lets our customers know IBM takes us very seriously."
- Butte AeroTec Conducts Successful Rocket Firing
MADA director Dave Micheletti said the test "represents a major milestone for the Butte AeroTec facility's growth and MADA's mission of making aerospace technology a significant component of Montana's economy."
- Northwestern Energy: Celebrating 100 years
NorthWestern Energy contributes more than $1.5 million annually to charitable and economic development organizations and recognizes the contribution of employee volunteers within our communities.
The Missoula Economic Partnership
- Senator Baucus: Montana Poised to Lead the Nation Toward Energy Security
Senator Responds to New Report, Highlights Montana Energy Development Opportunities
- Grants for Business Development and Workforce Training in Montana
In addition to low interest loans available, the State of Montana also offers grant programs for Business Development and Workforce Training. As grants these funds do not have to be repaid by the business recipient who is creating or training workers for new jobs in Montana.
- Missoula Economic Partnership Newsletter - Moving Forward Daily
The last four weeks have been very busy as we continue developing tactics for attracting 25 "best-fit" companies to expand or relocate to Missoula.
Business Plan Forums
- Sustainable Efficiency hiring Sales Executives in Multiple locations - Seattle, Portland, Salt Lake, Boise, Wyoming, and North and South Dakota
SEI is looking for self-starters to work in a full commission opportunity. Target income first year is $100,000+.
- Is Sitting the New Smoking?
"Researchers have linked sitting for prolonged periods with a number of health problems and premature death from cardiovascular disease."
- Idaho TechLaunch 9.0 Business Plan Competition (5/15-16) Applications Due Soon
Since 2004, 62 innovative companies have participated in TechLaunch and have garnered more than $33 million in research and development and investment funds.
- Economic gardening converts at least two
Economic gardening nurtures fast-growing, local companies by providing them with market intelligence and expertise.
- Idaho colleges work on connecting with business - only 3 businesses attend meeting
"It's a big challenge. How do we get more businesses to talk to us?"
University of Montana & Montana State University Tech Transfer
- City with Superfast Internet Invites Innovators to Play and offers $300,000 in prize money for ideas
"What we are trying to do is inject some capital into innovation, with the goal of driving demand for higher-bandwidth networks and jump-start adoption across the country and world."
21st Century Education Initiative - "You Should Care..."
- Montana State University Ag Technology to Enter Global Biopesticide Market
Mahurin said that Montana Microbial Products is an excellent example of a Montana company picking up MSU's research, while Certis is the best possible company to put BmJ into a global product line.
- State of Michigan Establishes New Tech Transfer Network Led by University of Michigan
The Michigan Economic Development Corporation announced the Tech Transfer Talent Network -- a new $2.6 million initiative to increase the supply of seasoned entrepreneurs and innovators who can lend their expertise to member universities' tech transfer offices.
Montana Education Excellence
- Digital revolution changing lives of students with disabilities
Some of the developments border on the magical, compared with what was available 20 years ago. Schools often are the places where people first encounter them.
- A B C D Entrepreneurship - the importance of teaching entrepreneurship to children
I will explore the importance of introducing the concept of entrepreneurship to your children at an early age and how it can impact them in a positive manner and better prepare them to successfully negotiate the world.
- Former Governor endorses early educator bills
Legislation would allow Early Educators to organize as a union and negotiate directly with the state on the policy issues that impact their profession and the children in their care.
- Montana State University to offer first dual enrollment course at Bozeman High School this fall
This fall for the first time, high school students will be able to take a Montana State University course at Bozeman High School and receive both high school and university credits upon completion.
- Billings, Montana School District 2 Davis Demographic study was broken from the start
"They didn't check their answers."
- University of Montana starts veteran mentoring program
The program will focus on the specific needs of the nearly 750 veterans on UM's campus and their transitions from soldier to student.
- Montana University System delivers a great return on investment
Here are some recent ways we have kept costs down, shortened the time it takes to graduate, stepped up our production of a skilled workforce, and helped Montana's economy.
Funding and Building your Business
- SIX new grant announcements
- Nextdoor offers online forum for neighborhoods
Nextdoor https://nextdoor.com/ is a new social network that connects people based on where they live.
- Your Entrepreneur World Changes When You Take Money
Angel and venture capital investors rarely just give you the cash, and stand back to wait for you to spend it the way you want.
- Selling or Funding A Startup? Tips On Surviving Technical Due Diligence
It's not the Spanish Inquisition, after all "Nobody Expects the Spanish Inquisition"
- Pitching: The first 8 words
"Within the first 8 words, I've decided whether or not to keep listening."
The Creative and Cultural Economy
- Great Falls, Montana's new website goes live Friday
In a news release, Rachel Arms, the city's web developer, said, "In less than six months, city staff and aHa Consulting have developed a website that is aesthetically pleasing, includes enhanced features, and improves communication between the city and its citizens and visitors."
Cool Stuff That's Coming
- PITCH THE 406 - Bozeman, Montana filmmakers win $20,000 in 'movie-making magic'
The pitch for "Magpie," the second feature film for the young filmmakers, is the story of a young girl on a ranch in eastern Montana and how life in the area has changed with the oil boom.
- Smart Cart follows you when grocery shopping
Through the XBox 360 Kinect technology, this prototype can track your movements and follow you through a supermarket, and also can scan your items in order to tick them off your list -- perhaps forgetting the one item you needed for tonight's dinner will end up as a thing of the past. If the children slip in a few bags of cookies and it's not on that list, you'll know -- as the trolley will send out a warning.
- Rail Supporters Fight To Keep Service In Bitterroot Valley of Montana
MRL suspended service last May and could permanently close the tracks in April. Meantime, business and community leaders are scrambling for ways to keep the trains going.
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page