|MATR Newsletter - Fri Feb 19, 2016|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
"You want the Peckinpah suite," Anthony Bourdain http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html
Early Edge Montana
Montana Politics & Legislature
- Oklahomans have embraced free, universal early education -- and it's working
"I'm not sure [public prekindergarten] is a liberal or conservative issue. It's about people wanting to do the best thing for kids." Malinda Lindsay, principal at Muskogee Early Childhood Center in Oklahoma.
- Way beyond Montana politics as usual - "Big Sky, Big Money"
Montanans must remain ever vigilant, as our citizen legislature is an easy target for wealthy interests, a cheap date per se, for seasoned political operatives.
Visit Montana - Montana Dept. of Tourism
- Northwestern Energy Now Providing An Electric Service Outage Map
This map indicates areas of current planned and unplanned outages and the estimated time of restoration.
Energy and Climate Change
- Livingston, Montana's Murray Hotel garners national recognition
"You want the Peckinpah suite," Anthony Bourdain wrote.
Come Home Montana
- Nobel prize winning University of Montana climate professor Steve Running believes UM Foundation should divest its fossil fuel investments
"I would absolutely tell our foundation that they should be on a strategic path to pulling out of coal investments as soon as they can," Running said Tuesday. "And then, over a little longer term, oil and gas investments.
- France will pave roads with 620 miles of solar panels
The Wattway panels can be directly applied to an existing road surface, and will provide comparable levels of grip to conventional paving materials.
- Can a reality TV show help cut America's power bill?
Think of it as a kind of "Freaky Friday" experiment in which companies exchange energy teams to diagnose facilities with fresh eyes.
- Could This Heating Technology Revolutionize the U.S. Market?
Applied properly, it can help architects, engineers, and end users save energy, increase comfort levels, cut building emissions, and maximize usable building space.
Developing a more Entrepreneurial Montana
- Montana Career Opportunity - Network System Coordinator - Missoula County Public Schools
The primary responsibility of the Network Coordinators is to maintain district servers, district user accounts, overall system security, network infrastructure and connectivity, stability of software installations and upgrades, and provide high level assistance to the PC/Network Technicians.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Chief Executive Officer - Mission Mountain Enterprises
We are looking for an experienced Chief Executive Officer to provide leadership and direction for a full spectrum of supports to individuals with disabilities, including vocational, residential, and recreational programs.
- Montana Intern Opportunities - Engineer Computer Science Intern, Engineer Intern (Construction), Business Management Intern, Business Management or Information Systems Intern, Engineer Intern (Operations) - Northwestern Energy
NorthWestern Energy is committed to providing excellent service for our customers.
- Montana Career Opportunities - MSU CS Intern, Implementation Specialist, Client Experience Specialist - Pulsara
Pulsara improves the times and outcomes for critical care patients through online and wireless delivery of data to healthcare providers.
- Montana Career Opportunities - Managed Service Analyst, Quote to Cash (Q2C) Solutions Specialist, Consulting Intern and more - Advanced Technology Group
Opportunities begin when gaps are discovered - those pressing business challenges where IT and business are not connecting.
- Montana Career Opportunities - Front End Engineers, Software Engineers, Engineering Interns - Centricient
We are looking for smart people to join our team who plan to become or who are already great technologists.
- Montana Career Opportunities - Network Technician, Senior Network Technician, Phone System Technician - Granite Technology Solutions, Inc.
Granite Technology Solutions, Inc. features innovative technology solutions for voice, data, business applications, and infrastructure needs.
- Montana Career Opportunities - Data Integration Engineer, DevOps Engineer, Senior Software Engineer and more... - Sofi - Helena
By joining SoFi, you'll become part of a forward-thinking technology company that is transforming financial services with innovative loan products and investment tools.
- Measuring Cities As They Race to the Top
How are cities assessing and benchmarking their performance?
- UM's Blackstone LaunchPad - Pursue Your Passion Program, 2/22, Missoula
“We want to create a space for women to feel inspired, empowered and supported by one another in their creative and entrepreneurial endeavors,” said Paul Gladen, UM Blackstone LaunchPad director and Montana Academy of Distinguished Entrepreneurs CEO.
Montana Economic Development
- Missoula-based Inspired Classroom is a dynamic and unique partner for everyone from educators to business leaders
The experiences provided by Inspired Classroom bring all learners and businesses insightful, real world connections through high quality video conferencing equipment, in-depth curriculum development, and green screen technology.
- Big Sky Film Festival to boost Missoula economy
Executive Director Gita Saedi Kiely says this festival wouldn't exist with out the Missoula community. She says because of where we live, it has grown naturally and organically.
- Missoula Job Service Employers' Council honors area businesses for innovative practices
The awards for small, medium and large businesses went to Collection Bureau Services, Missoula Federal Credit Union and AWARE Inc., respectively.
- Flathead County Resumes Role As 'Growth Leader' in Montana's Economic Landscape
Many of the county's key industries - retail, health care, construction, manufacturing and tourism - experienced solid gains over the last 12 months and that trend is expected to continue over the next 12 months.
- Instead of your weaknesses, what are your strengths?
Start using your strengths today.
- 7 Idaho tech startups to watch
Grant Thompson is not an engineer, nor is he an expert on the crop sprayers designed by Boise's GenZ Technology. He was hired as the startup's CEO for one reason: to raise money.
- WWAMI, U of I bolstering the future of medical education in Idaho
In a state with a critical need for physicians, understanding how medical education is delivered is necessary for making informed decisions about the future of such programs in Idaho -- planning for smart and sustained growth.
- The Software Industry's Cabin in the Woods - Portland, Oregon has quietly lured startups and big company satellites.
"We'd have people come up from the San Francisco office to work in Portland, and they'd just want to stay," Zahnd says. That's fine by him: In Portland, he pays less than one-third of his San Francisco office expenses.
American Prairie Reserve
- FCC approves proposal to boost TV set-top box competition
The new rule, unveiled by FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler in January, would allow customers to obtain video services from providers such as Alphabet Inc, Apple Inc and Tivo, instead of cable, satellite and other television providers such Comcast Corp and Verizon Communications.
- Video: An Evening on the Prairie with Tom Brokaw - The American Prairie Foundation
Tom Brokaw's views on the importance of our nation embracing big ideas -- like the incredible effort by American Prairie Reserve to build North America's next natural treasure on the northern plains of Montana.
MAPS : Media Arts in the Public Schools
- New data framework for higher ed has massive implications
Though the new metrics framework could prove invaluable to prospective students, are college and university leaders ready and willing to agree to a national, standardized data framework?
Montana Education Excellence
- MAPS To Host 'Filmmakers In The Schools'. 2/23, Hamilton, Montana
This event is free and all Ravalli County high school students are welcome to attend.
Montana Education/Business Partnerships
- Call for Presenters - Jobs for Montana's Graduates (JMG) IGNITE Montana 4/27-28, Billings
We still need people for these workshops and panels:
- Big Sky students visit Montana Tech for Health Care Day
"Today, I feel like, is a day to see what kind of things you can do here, so getting to see that would show me what opportunities I could have," said Big Sky High School junior Kelsi McEnaney.
- Burden of funding school facilities increasingly falls to Montana taxpayers
Since the Montana Legislature declined to appropriate money to the Quality Schools Grant Program in its 2015 session, the state's sole source of assistance with school buildings comes in the form of a program that attempts to help poorer districts that have passed bonds for capital expenditure projects.
- NASA-funded consortium to support science education in Washington, Oregon and Montana
A new program based at the University of Washington will bring together educational institutions, K-12 teachers and informal education organizations to inspire, teach and recruit the next generation of students in science, technology, engineering and mathematics.
- State of Montana grapples with ways to solve schools' funding crunch
Last year the state didn't have enough money to pay for any of the applications schools submitted to fix failing infrastructure or build new facilities.
- Cooking show star and interventional cardiologist Dr. Michael Fenster finds new home at University of Montana
"You know, if I'm helping somebody by stopping a heart attack by putting a stent in or getting the latest very important pharmaceuticals, that's one hat that I wear," he says. "And if I'm giving a demo and I'm cooking a delicious meal, that's just another hat. But it's all part of what we all share as human beings."
- MSU's Montana Manufacturing Extension Center offers training to help Montana manufacturers better deliver products and services to their customers
"Our goal is to walk out of here with a plan to really create a robust global supply chain for our company."
Funding and Building your Business
- Building Missoula's future
A 2014 Government Accountability study noted that Montana faces the greatest threat of statewide freshwater shortages over the next decade - beyond every other state, even California.
- What's Up at One Montana
The last few months were particularly successful at One Montana. Here are a few of the accomplishments.
- Study says Bozeman's cost of living above average
Bozeman's cost of living is above the national average, but only slightly, according to a new report.
- Helena faces multimillion-dollar bill for ADA retrofits
Community Development Director Sharon Haugen said Helena won't be able to simply cut a check to cover the recommended changes.
- Sales Basics and Best Practices for Small Business Owners! Tuesdays Starting 3/1 in Missoula
This course teaches the basics and best practices of how to make sales a deliberate, systematic, and professional process.
- Montana Gov. Steve Bullock promotes new online Business Navigator tool
In an effort to streamline the business startup process and encourage entrepreneurship, the state has created the Montana Business Navigator, a new online tool that guides prospective business owners through the hoops of identifying the necessary registrations, licenses and permits needed to begin.
- Got a Business Idea? Win $5,000!
New Requirements: Apply for our Shark Tank style competition by February 19, and turn in your supporting documents by March 1! Also enjoy a reduced entry fee.
- No. 1 among states for start-up businesses, Montana offers help too
"Ultimately, this is about the American dream and people making a living and being able to support their family," Tester said. "Small business is the basis for that in this state."
- Study finds that companies with more women leaders are more profitable
"The evidence on women in the C-suite is robust: no matter how we torture the data we get the same result: women in the C-suite are associated with higher profitability," Marcus Noland, director of studies at the Peterson Institute
- Tesla Model 3 buyers can put a deposit down on March 31
Tesla Model 3 promises a 200-mile range at a starting price of $35,000 before incentives. The car will be unveiled March 31 and go into production later this year.
- Montana millennials stoked about Uber
"We are excited to connect Montana residents with reliable rides in the future," said spokesman Michael Amodeo.
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page